Launcher and App Store for Smart TV
Based on our expertise in native Android development and Android as a platform, we proposed few changes to their challenges along with some workarounds. These workarounds are for portions which are restricted or causing android to become unstable.
1) Custom launcher for easy navigation and relevant information for users
2) Self hosted App Store along with exclusive apps
3) Branding establishment in the android kernel
- Creating and implementing launcher was simpler and with UI fixed it was much easier for developer to implement and adjust the design according to required Smart TV sizes.
- Main concern aroused when default launcher on some devices override the custom launcher built. Primary cause of this is the system preference set by android to restrict any override to add any other launcher.
- Another aspect of launcher is the remote control handling. Some buttons on the remote of the Smart TV allows default launcher to pop open.
- Since both issues are linked to single problem. Overriding of default launcher. For this the team come up with few ideas of tweaking some properties of Smart TV OS. On devices where these tweaking are not allowed, some work-around were implemented.
- Add custom app store is just like installing another application on the android. It’s services were implemented and made to bind with the custom launcher to work as required.
- Adding branding to Smart TV requires thorough study of the device’s OS. As some devices requires few codes to be written to override the branding while some requires replacement of logo and icons while booting the Smart TV OS. This costs us quite some time courtesy to the lengthy documentation. But reaching the goals covered up everything.
Well Ossify got their Smart TV up and running with custom launcher and branding as required by them before the beginning of the project. Now with everything setup they are ready to launch their Smart TV in the market. Creating apps for Smart TV just like creating app for any other android. But bringing customization and moving down to the core of the OS was the essence of this project. Do checkout the designs of the launcher at the link below.